Building an SEO-friendly website for a reputable photography magazine focused on China.
This work on building an SEO-friendly website for a photography blog was completed in 2014 but Iforgot to add it to the portfolio. Better late than never!
Defining meaningful and SEO-friendly categories and tags:
- Keyword research to evaluate the online demand and how to discover content gaps and new untapped opportunities for the blog.
- Topics with large demand and competition will become categories. They are redefining the site structure, only inasmuch as they suit the site's focus. This is the long-term investment.
- Topics with lower demand but even lower competition (easier to win) make up a list of tags and keywords to use in headings and sub-headings on the blog posts. This is the short- to medium-term investment.
- Additional list of broader and specific keywords to use in alt text and captions.
A suitable content management system
- A user-friendly system, not too flexible but enough for the user to add embed codes and make changes site-wide easily
- Easy to maintain (client asked for integrated hosting and CMS)
- Suited to photography
- Large imagery
- Fast delivery on all platforms
- Multiple options for displaying captions and alt text customisation
- Multi-language platform: English, French & Chinese.
- Choice: Squarespace. A bit of a learning curve but offered the flexibility and ease-of-use wanted by the user. Each content block is SEO-friendly and defined by a content type (content block, photo block, video block, etc) and not in a WYSIWYG editor which confuses all content types into one big blurb, which isn't very future-proof.
- Squarespace also provides a developer platform which allowed for the necessary theme customisation to make it unique and build a multilingual website.
Layout and content types
- Defining content types best suited for the website: interviews and reviews mostly, but also specific content pages.
- Review and improvement of site structure to cater for the different content types, with use of photo galleries stored on the CMS to be uploaded into the content.
- Designing the right page layout for all content types.